Wednesday, October 30, 2013

You Never Know Until You Try




People sometimes call me crazy, but I don't mind. I guess I just really love dancing to the beat of my own drum. If I get an idea to do something and it seems impossible, I go for it anyway. After all, if you don't even try, then you've already lost. 

So, when my family and I enjoyed a particularly sweet and delicious pineapple a couple of years ago, I thought how wonderful it would be if I could grow more like it. Now, I should tell you that we were at corporate headquarters in Oregon at the time, in a region that experiences snow and freezing temperatures for several months of the year.  But, I didn't let that stop me. 

I twisted the top of the pineapple off, pulled off the leaves, leaving a 3/4 inch of the stem bare, then planted it in a big pot using organic bagged soil. I wanted to give it the best chance of success that I could, so I put my little plant in a northwest corner window, knowing that it would get regular sun in the afternoon all year long. I watered it once a week, just like all of my other houseplants, and gave it no fertilizer at all.

Well, wouldn't you know it? My patience finally paid off. Two and a half years later, my efforts were rewarded with a little 5 inch pineapple springing right up from that original pineapple top. Now, I don't know if it will grow to be big and delicious like a Hawaiian pineapple, but just the excitement of my very own pineapple growing in a pot in Oregon is reward enough!

You can try it for yourself. If nothing else, you'll have an exotic plant to enjoy, and who knows, you might get gifted with a baby pineapple just like I did.


Like I always say, you never know until you try.

No comments:

Post a Comment